Are you searching for the right reciprocating saw but confused, which saw is perfect for your work and how to cut straight with a reciprocating saw? Then there is nothing to worried about it because this article is for you.
Some saws are used for a light surface with small blades and others for a hard surface with a sharper edge and also with large size. These reciprocating saws are hand-carry, which makes work easier.
There is a step by step guide related to the reciprocating saw, its blade’s type, and how to use it properly to get the right straight cut.
What Is Reciprocating Saw?
A Reciprocating saw is a professional cutting machine or tool due to which the cutting process occurs by pushing and pulling with a moving blade. This saw is used in construction and demolition work. This saw is also said to be a hognose saw. It has sharp and large blades to make the cutting process easy.
Different Types Of Reciprocating Saw And Their Uses
There are six different kinds of reciprocating saw depends upon which type you need to use:
- Cordless reciprocating saw
- Pneumatic reciprocating saw
- Corded reciprocating saw
- Compact reciprocating saw
- Plumbing & HVAC reciprocating saw.
- Mini reciprocating saw
1. Uses Of Cordless Reciprocating Saw
Cordless reciprocating lightweight, so; you can easily carry it while working in outdoor ears and upstairs. That’s why it is also said to be handled saw. Cordless saw it has an excellent electronic battery with superior voltage.
- Easy to use
- Hand carry
- Convertible for different areas
- Excellent amps
- Small with heavy voltage motor easy to use for exterior work.
- A battery can take time to charge.
- A little bit bulky
- Battery timing is limited.
2. Uses Of Pneumatic Reciprocating Saw
It is used most probably for industrial work like manufacturing plants, gas utility, and purifying. An Air compressor is necessary for its working. Based on this function, it is also known as an air saw.
- It is long-lasting and irreproachable.
- Perfect for commercial use
- Has the ability to cool its blade on its own
- Excellent Battery timing
- A little bit difficult to move
- It is limited to commercial use.
- An Air compressor is necessary while using it.
3. Uses Of Corded Reciprocating Saw
A corded saw is used to drawing the wall. This saw has excellent battery timing, but you do not need to worry if the battery becomes low during working. You can charge it in less time. It has AC, and DC is used for working. 7-10 amps for thin cutting and more than 11 amperes are used for the grove.
- Readily available in any market
- Appropriate Price
- Highly demanding
- Excellent power for cutting
- It has full power motors, which make them a faster and easy process of cutting.
- More durable
- Working is limited
- Not suitable for interior or exterior uses
- Risk while using
- Could not use without proper clothing
4. Uses Of Compact Reciprocating Saw
An Air compressor is necessary for its working. Due to this reason, the cutting process becomes easy and fast. The compact saw has the most beautiful design, which gains the attention of customers. Its charge is voltage or amps. A saw is a very light weighted hand carry tool perfect for challenging cutting.
- Adjustable with the areas where both hands do not fit in place
- Adjust indoor areas
- Can be used in the narrow places
- Hand carry
- Easy to use
- Medium size
- Small motor takes more time for working
- Battery timing is limited
- Can be used for softer objects
- Not suitable for hardwood or wall
- Take extra support while using due to small size
5. Uses Of Plumbing Reciprocating Saw
Pluming saw is a good option for the use of hard places. It is adjustable on narrow areas with a sharp blade, especially in local pipes. A plumbing saw is best for working inside the wall, trim the wood into small or large pieces. It is also said to be HVAC.
- Excellent for plumbing work
- Can be used in narrow places
- Sharp blades
- Supports fast working
- Bulky tool
- A little bit expensive
6. Uses Of Mini Reciprocating Saw
The mini flush reciprocating saw is the smallest size, as indicates by its name. It is easy to handle and has a small blade of 12-inches. Use full for lightweight objects.
- Can cut pipes from narrow areas
- Useful for barrier places
- Easy to handle
- Small size
- Beautiful Design
- Can be used for lighter objects
- Home erection is difficult.
- Wreck is impossible
Purposes Of Reciprocating Saw
Reciprocating saw are used for cutting and trimming the soft or hardwood. These reciprocating saws have sharp blades that make working fast and quick. These saws are used for home construction or demolition. Flush reciprocating saws are also available in the market for flush cutting.
The saw can be used for cutting plastics or metal pipes, drywall, soft or hardwood, windows, plumbing, etc. These saws make the cutting process easy.
Difference Between Straight And Orbital Cut Reciprocating Saw
- Straight cut reciprocating saw has a straight blade that can only move in forward and backward direction. A straight cut saw is used to cut challenging areas or metal.
- On the other hand, the orbital cut reciprocating saw has a blade that can move in every direction slightly in a circular motion. It is the best option for faster cutting on soft material.
Step By Step Guide On How To Cut Straight With A Reciprocating Saw
For a straight cut, first set an angle and mark the line with the pointer, after applying pressure on this line with the help of a reciprocating saw. If you don’t draw a straight line on that material that has to be cut, then the saw will not cut straight because it is designed for power cutting, not for accuracy.
But there are also many saws in the market which support the straight cutting.
Necessary Tools That You Need To Cut Straight Using A Reciprocating Saw
Many things matter that is necessary for a straight cut, which are given below:
Blades of a reciprocal saw are designed to be cut almost any type of material. These blades are sharp and fast in cutting. There is no specific saw which is designed for cutting all kind of material with its blades. That’s why different saws are made for the use of other purposes.
Some saws blades can be used to cut softer material and other for wall drawing outlet and woodcutting. Similarly, some saws have small edges, and others with large blades can also be differentiated with the number of teeth present on the saw.
ii) Blade Clamp
Blade clamp allows cutting material from different angles. The clamp has four positions for adjusting the blade. Every clamp position has a different angle, which provides more accuracy in straight cutting.
iii) Variable Speed Trigger
Speed is the most crucial factor while cutting. Each material needs a different pace for cutting. If the rate should be according to the material that is to be missed. Otherwise, it results in damage or breakage to that material. Speed triggers prevent from damaging.
iv) Adjustable Pivot
An adjustable pivot protects the teeth blades against hard surfaces. They become adjust to hardwood or dry walls quickly.
v) Illuminate LED Lights
Some reciprocating saws have LED lights that are useful while working in dark places. This feature helps in more focusing, which reduces the chance of fault. Reciprocating saws with this quality are highly demanding.
vi) Anti- Vibrant Handles
This anti-vibrant feature is handy in handling reciprocating saws. It does not put an extra effort into the arms during working. This feature also provides additional grip to the reciprocating saw. It also reduces the chance of muscle fatigue while using it.
How To Cut Straight With Reciprocating Saw
For a straight cut, make an estimate of the desired slit, then set an angle and mark the line with the pointer, after applying pressure on this line with the help of a reciprocating saw. Use screw escalates the upper side of the wood and afterward fix it with the support which protects it from jerks during cutting.
This will set the log into place. Drawing a line is an essential step for straight cut; if you don’t draw a straight line on that material that has to be cut, then the saw will not cut straight because it is designed for power cutting, not for accuracy.
While Cutting Straight Horizontally Or Vertically
Using a wooden board along with a reciprocating saw while cutting is also the best option. Lock this board with edges by its clamp. C- clamp protects from jerks and helps to keep the wood in place. Because uneven cutting happens due to jerks Then, estimate the rail space and area that is covered by the saw.
The cut is done by the distance between this rail and the log. The same rule is applying for vertical cutting. After taking an estimate there is a need for a wood screw for attaching fence rail on the wall for vertical cut.
Safety Measures That Are Necessary While Cutting Straight With A
Safety measures are essential to protect yourself from harm. For this purpose, some points have to keep in mind.
Which type of clothes you have ware important while cutting. There are thousands of cases in which people do not care about proper clothing during cutting, which leads to damage to their own.
Wearing goggles protects eyes from the harms of a reciprocating saw and the effects of the environment. Do not use a saw without wearing goggles.
Hand safety is one of the most important during cutting. Use a particular type of gloves that protect your hands from wound or cut.
Mask plays a vital role in protecting your face from environmental dust and cutting material particles like woodcutting or wall drawing.
The helmet protects against sun rays. It can also protect against head injury. Because using is risky work due to sharp blades, that’s why it is essential to cover yourself as a whole to minimize the chance of injury.
Earplugs prevent your ear from noise, which occurs due to the cutting process.
Awareness About Using Saw
While reciprocating the saw, then you are aware of how to use it. It will reduce the chance of incident and assure you protection from all risk.
Use Correct Blade For Accurate Purpose
There are many types of reciprocating saw, and each saw has a different kind of blades for various purposes. Some blades are used to cut soft material and others for hard material.
Similarly, a reciprocating saw with flush cut blades is highly demanding in the market. If you are not aware of which saw could be used for which material, it will damage or break your blade.
Reciprocating Saw Using Tips And Hacks
These reciprocating saw tips or hacks will make work easier and provides safety given below:
- First of all, draw a straight line at the point where you have to cut.
- Auger a hole in the hard places. It is a good idea to cut hard or thick areas.
- Use the reciprocating saw with a metal blade. This type of blade is usually sharp and provides fast cutting. It helps in easy to cut to hardwood and metal surfaces.
- Start cutting slowly precisely to the point which has to cut. Use the blade’s tip on the surface of the material after it forces the machine to the downward side.
- Cut material by loose trimming. You can change the side of that material for smooth cutting.
- Hold the tool with the help of both hands. Rubber boot helps to provide a good grip, which reduces the chance of an incident.
- Make a small hole on the wall. When you will assure that this is the area you need to draw, start work on that surface properly.
- Don’t put extra force on the tool; it results in bending of the blade. In those cases, do not try to straighten the edge directly with your hand. It can burn your hands because it may become hot.
- Use safety clothes while cutting. For changing the blade, first, pull the plug outside.
Maintenance Of Reciprocating Saw
- Maintenance of reciprocating saw is essential, which ensures that it will go for the long term.
- Reciprocating saw can cut wood, metal, plastics and steel pipes and ceramic, etc. These materials can make dusty or rusted. SO, clean reciprocating blades properly after every use.
- Use proper pressure or force on the material according to stuff.
- Ensure air compressor is used according to requirements.
- Remove blades from the tool after using it. It will also increase safety chances.
- Blade becomes hot after using it. Therefore, remove the edge a few minutes after using it. It will protect from injury.
- Maintenance maximizes the life of your tool as compared to other devices that are not appropriately maintained.
DIY Reciprocating Saw
Suppose you do not have a reciprocating saw but have a drill machine. But you do not want to buy a saw; then, there is an excellent idea for you with the help of which your driller machine can work as a reciprocating saw.
Drill machine is used for making a hole in walls or other problematic areas, but you can adjust the cutting blade or circular saw blade in front of the drill machine through any nob and guzzle. Your DIY reciprocating saw is ready to use.
Plunge cut with reciprocating saw technique is also considered to be useful for cutting. In this technique, a hole is made in the wood so that saw can insert inside it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: When To Use Reciprocating Saw
A: Reciprocating saws are used while cutting and remodeling the different materials. These are used for cutting wood, ceramics, metal, iron, plastics pipes, etc. If electric wires are damaging inside the wall, then these tools are helpful to detect and drawing that wall by using its blade, and you can fix the problem inside.
Q: How To Use Reciprocating Saw
A: First, you have to aware of the right type of saw which can be used for your desired work. Put a reasonable force in the downward direction. Move slightly to the forward and backward movement or in a circular motion.
Q: Which Is The Best Blade To Use For Reciprocating Saw
A: A metal blade is best for pipes cutting. The toothed edge is also suitable for this purpose. For hard surface cutting like wood and drywall, use coarse blades. If blade quality is good, then the chance of damages reduces. If these reciprocating saw blades bend, then they could be flat with a hammer and reused.
Always keep in mind that the tooth blade is faster and flexible at the point.
Q: How To Lubricate A Reciprocating Saw
A: Lubrication increases the life of the saw. Grease is an excellent option for this purpose.
- First, pull the pin outside and remove the saw’s shoes.
- After it, remove a supportive clamp.
- Then it removes plastics cellophane.
- Use a grease gun, compress the needed amount of grease. Different types of lubricants are used for different kinds of reciprocating saws.
Q: Can You Cut Straight Lines With A Reciprocating Saw?
A: Making straight cuts with a reciprocating saw is possible if a line marks on the object with a permanent pointer. Then start cutting slowly in forward to backward direction. Nowadays, many reciprocating saws are available in the market that can cut a straight line with a small focus on that object, even in more challenging areas.
Q: How To Make A Flush Cut With A Reciprocating Saw
A: Reciprocating saw has a Stretchable flush cutting augmentation that allows flush-cuts even in narrow areas like doorstep and jams doors. The blade is made up of counterbalance, allowing a cutting portion of the flush cut saw blade away and parallels to the saw bar.
In this way, it is easy to make the flush cut with a reciprocating saw.
Reciprocating Saw Flush Adapter
This type of saw reduces the chance of breakage and protects blades from bending. Also, make it easy to flash cutting. Reciprocating saw flush adapter makes easy access in hard and narrow areas.
In this article, I have discussed a complete guide; in fact, each and everything related to how to cut straight with a reciprocating saw. By reading this guide, you will be well aware of all types of reciprocating saws and which saw can use for that purpose. Different saws are used for cutting other objects.
A certain amount of power or pressure has applied to different reciprocating saws. This guide makes you capable of making a DIY reciprocating saw with plumbing when in need. Maintenance is necessary for its long life.
You May Also Interested to Learn:
To Know More About Woodworking and Carpentry Vist at iSaw Guide Home.