Come to think of it, plexiglass makes a large percentage of items in our household. From tabletops to picture frames, all these are products of plexiglass. Plexiglass is less costly, durable, and lightweight which makes it an option for many people rather than the standard glass.
If you are a DIYer who needs to explore making items with plexiglass, you need to know how to cut plexiglass in a circle. You don’t have to mind about what to use to cut the plexiglass.
Shaping and cutting do not require special tools. You just need ordinary tools that you can get in your workshop. However, you need to follow instructions on how to cut to avoid unnecessary cracking during the process.
Lucky for you, we are here to give you all the guidelines you can use. It doesn’t matter which technique you will be using. We have all covered for you.
Before heading to that point, you need to know what plexiglass is. This will ensure you know what you will be dealing with.
What Is Plexiglass?
In simpler terms, we can say that plexiglass is a plastic material. When we go to the scientific or technical part of it, plexiglass goes by the term polymethylmethacrylate.
However, this is not the only term. We can’t even get to the end of mentioning the terms. Most people know plexiglass as acrylics glass.
Plexiglass is used as an alternative to glass. I mean, what glass can make, plexiglass can do it better in an affordable way. The advantage plexiglass has over glass is its ability to resist shatter, more transparent, and flexibility.
Its disadvantage is vulnerability to scratches. Plexiglass also attracts dust particles easily. Therefore, it is not great for mechanical wear uses. Trimming plexiglass is easy and this makes it suitable for use by either professionals or DIYer.
Plexiglass is a German origin invent. It was invented in the last century. It took almost 30 years for plexiglass to get to the market.
Since its introduction to the market, plexiglass has become common and most used worldwide. With that information, you are ready to learn how to cut plexiglass curves or circles. Whatever works for you.
What Are The Best Ways Of Cutting Plexiglass In A Circle?
Cutting plexiglass is the easiest thing you can think of. However, you need to know the right way to do it. If you choose the wrong technique, trust me, it is going to be difficult. Different plexiglass thickness has different ways of cutting.
You need to know what the best tool for cutting what thickness is. If you want to know how to cut 3/8 plexiglass in a circle, look for the best tool. You can use the best blade to cut plexiglass, saws, or other workshop tools.
Types Of Saws To Use For Cutting Plexiglass In A Circle
Cutting plexiglass with a grinder and blade is not the only way. Different saws are also useful in cutting plexiglass. Table saws, jigsaws, saber saws, and circular saws are great in cutting plexiglass. Power saws are mainly used in cutting thick pieces of plexiglass. The saw doesn’t even matter much.
What saw blade are you using? This is the only thing that determines the outcome of the cutting process. Can you cut plexiglass with a tile saw? Well, as long as you do it in the right way, then a tile saw will do a great job.
How To Cut Plexiglass In A Circle With The Different Cutting Tools
It doesn’t matter whether you are cutting plexiglass with an oscillating tool or cutting plexiglass with rotozip, always leave the plexiglass’ backing paper unremoved to prevent scratching. Use masking tape if the paper has been removed. Follow these simple steps to cut plexiglass in a circle.
- Place the plexiglass sheet on a surface and clamp it, to put it in place.
- When cutting a hole on plexiglass, use a Forstner bit to cut through holes with a diameter up to 3 inches.
- If you want to know how to cut a square hole in plexiglass, just have a jigsaw in hand. Mark on the plexiglass a small square of your preferred measurement depending on how big you want your hole to be. Then cut through the marks.
- When cutting round holes in plexiglass, use a hole saw to drill through the plexiglass, making a round hole.
How To Cut A Circle In Plexiglass By Hand
If you need to know how to cut plexiglass in a circle by hand, make sure the plexiglass is not too thick.
- Put the sheet on a working surface
- Mark the points where you need to cut through. Use a tape measure or ruler and a pencil.
- Use a glass cutter to cut through the marked points. It will take around 10 cuts
- Break the plexiglass by applying a downward force.
How To Cut Plexiglass In A Circle On A Table Saw
If you have thick sheets, you have to think about cutting plexiglass with table saw. You use the same technique as cutting wood with a table saw. There are only a few changes involved. Make sure you are using a blade suitable for cutting plexiglass.
- With the right blade, the blade should be a half-inch higher than the plexiglass sheet
- Mark on the plexiglass the points you need to cut through
- Put the sheet on the table saw and necessary setting, including the fence tightening and slide through the plexiglass to the table saw for cutting.
How To Cut Plexiglass In A Circle With A Jigsaw
Cutting plexiglass with a jigsaw is also great when dealing with thick sheets of plexiglass. Use the best plexiglass jigsaw blade for outstanding performance.
- Put the sheet oh a working surface. Mark the cutting l to make curved cuts on the plexiglass with a ruler to make straight lines.
- Put safety gloves and glasses
- Plug the jigsaw to a power source and turn it on
- Start cutting. Change cutting speed depending on the thickness of the sheet
How To Cut Plexiglass In A Circle With A Router
If you are thinking about making curved or straight cuts on plexiglass, try using a router. The results of cutting plexiglass with a router are incredible. To make curved cuts on the plexiglass, make sure that the router has a guide and a collar.
This ensures you get accurate outcomes. Use the spiral bits with the router. The router works great for making finishes on the plexiglass.
How To Cut Plexiglass In A Circle With A Utility Knife
- For DIYers who are not dealing with thick plexiglass sheets, simply use a utility knife. Here are simple instructions on how to do it.
- Place the sheet of plexiglass on a wooden working surface
- Clamp the piece on the work surface tightly
- Measure the cutting points using a ruler or a tape measure and use a pen to mark the points. You can either mark with dashes or complete lines.
- Wear safety gloves and goggle to prevent chips of the plexiglass from getting to your eyes
- Score through the marked lines with a utility’s knife dull side
- After ten scores, apply a force in a downward manner to break the pieces.
How To Cut Plexiglass In A Circle With Dremel
Most people prefer using the best Dremel saw max plexiglass. I mean, its performance is on another level. Its high cutting speed makes you will be sure that the plexiglass will not crack as likable.
- Use a 561 cutting drill with the Dremel inserting the bit.
- Mark your plexiglass depending on the cuts you need to make. For freehand cuts, there is no need to mark the plexiglass.
- Power on the Dremel and start cutting at an angle of 45 degrees.
How To Cut Plexiglass In A Circle Without Cracking
This is most people issue when it comes to cutting plexiglass. Cutting plexiglass in a circle needs you to be extra keen to prevent cracking. You need to have the right tools for the job. If it’s a saw, the saw’s blade should be ideal for cutting plexiglass.
As long as you are using the correct cutting tool, you will be sure that the plexiglass will not crack. However, even if you use the right tool, make sure you follow the cutting procedure. With those two aspects, you will cut plexiglass in a circle without cracking.
How To Cut Thick Plexiglass In A Circle
You might know how to cut plexiglass circle, but cutting through a thick one will always be challenging. The secret behind cutting thick plexiglass in a circle is using power saws. Using hands, knife, or blade for thick plexiglass needs a lot of effort.
Instead of going through all that hassle, just use a power saw and make sure that the blade is perfect for cutting plexiglass. Make proper markings to the thick plexiglass and clamp before cutting. If the blade overheats, cool it to avoid plexiglass chipping.
How To Cut Thin Plexiglass Sheets In A Circle
I have never thought of the easiest thing to do, like cutting thin plexiglass. You can use any cutting tool to cut thin plexiglass sheets in a circle.
Clamp, mark, and use a glass cutter, blade, or utility knife to score through the marks. Score on both sides so that breaking becomes easier with just a little downward force.
Who said only experts could do it, you can also do it just like an expert. I mean, cutting plexiglass just needs you to have the right tools and cutting instructions.
You will encounter situations where you need to use plexiglass whether during house renovation or simple DIYer projects. You just need to know how to deal with the plexiglass.
Now you know how to cut plexiglass in a circle. All is left is to put it into practice with different cutting tools.